Sunday, January 23, 2022

Dance then...

 

This past Sunday our choir did a Don Hart arrangement of “Lord of the Dance”.  The song, written originally in 1963 by the English poet and songwriter, Sydney Carter depicts Christ’s life as a dance.  Carter based the song on an old Shaker tune, “Simple Gifts”.    The Shakers, sometimes referred to as the “Shaking Quakers”, enjoyed dancing and in fact, used it as a part of worship.

 

Now, if we are to view Jesus’ life as a dance, and we know that we have a duty as Christians to emulate the life of Christ, then I must admit that I am in deep trouble!  I have two left feet and dancing is not my forte’.  Ah, but alas, the chorus assures me that I will be aptly lead:

 

“Dance then, wherever you may be
 I am the Lord of the Dance, said He!
 And I'll lead you all, wherever you may be
 And I'll lead you all in the Dance, said He!”

 

Sometimes our life dances are very somber and humbled.  Sometimes we dance methodically and in time, and sometimes we dance for joy.  But in every dance, Jesus leads us to bring praise and glory to God!  “…praise Him with tambourine and dancing, praise Him with the strings and flute…” Psalm 150:4.

 

May God bless you… and your dance!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dance then...

  This past Sunday our choir did a Don Hart arrangement of “Lord of the Dance”.   The song, written originally in 1963 by the English poet a...